Follow by Email

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Game Box Transformed

I removed all of the little boxes and bottles from the shelves this afternoon so I could take some photos to show how the little cardboard game box mutated into a Witches Apothecary Cabinet.  After all of the corrugated cardboard "shelves" dried into place, I painted the entire box with black acrylic paint.  The back and bottom of each opening was papered, trim was added to all of the center and bottom edges.  I especially like the red glittered "dripping blood" trim that my daughter created and shared with me -- it really added a pop of color.  I had to downsize the frames, labels and owls, twice, no less, before I had a size that would fit my box.  Tammy had also shared some German scrap that I used on the frames after dry brushing with black acrylic and adding some glitter glue to "spark" them up a bit.  I had black and orangey red candles that I cut in half, lit, then dripped opposite colors onto each. I set each candle into a bit of clay for a base and also created "lifts" for the jars and skeleton with squares of clay.  The vases for my eyeball bouquet and flying bats are Avon eye cream jars colored with red alcohol ink and trims added.  I painted flowers black to add above the little black crow to fill a bare spot -- ( My grand-daughter's suggestion).  "Spooky" was a fortunate find at Micheal's !!  I purchased an extra to send to my daughter (dogmomsart.blogspot.com)  since she and I were working together following Laura's tutorial at artfullymusing.blogspot.com .  I was not having good luck with clay and skeleton molds, so this made for a "happy day".  Tamera, my daughter, came up with the idea to cut off the top of a plastic water bottle to use as a base for the bouquet of glittering "plant life" at the center.  I had a package of K and Company bubble stickers and thought they would be great to add to the back of the shelves to create a look of more bottles.  As it has turned out, they don't really show up too much after I put all of the bottles I have decorated onto the shelves. Fun stuff, anyway !! Throughout the days of creating, I kept thinking how awesome Laura Carson is for sharing her techniques and style -- I wanted my apothecary cabinet to be as interesting for my friends to look at as hers is for me.

My Mom was a perfectionist when it came to any of her sewing, embroidery or craft projects and the back or inside had to look as good as the front or outside -- I covered the back with scrapbook paper, a plastic bat found at the 99 cent store, and added a large spider along the webs.  Since I am displaying all of this on my pass through between the kitchen and dining area, it does give me something better to look at when I am doing dishes at the kitchen sink !!  Click onto the photos for a closer look ~  I will add some close-ups of different areas in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. I love the details and the description of your process, especially since we couldn't share EVERYTHING on the phone! Just not enough hours in the day to do that, unfortunately. Halloween will be gone, but I still am excited to make a few more things for mine since it was so munch fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may be making Halloween things year around now -- this project has inspired me. I know I still want to add more to this, for sure !!

    ReplyDelete