Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Matchbox for my Sis



I wanted to create something for my sister who has been battling cancer for over 6 years - her faith carries her through each day.  I have had this old matchbox sitting around forever and decided this would make a nice small gift for her.  I covered the outside and lined the inside with script scrapbook paper.  A piece of coffee stained vintage lace and brown ribbon are also used on the outside of the box.  The framed photo is one of my all time favorites of her and I taken in South Dakota around the fall of 1946.  Our family had made a trip from Iowa to visit grandparents and aunts and uncles.  The men all went pheasant hunting and a photo was taken of her and I holding up the spoils of the hunt.  The birds were cleaned and prepared for a feast that evening.  I remember always saying pheasant was my favorite meal for a long time after those days.  Inside the box, I have glued down some "autumn" leaves and pheasant colored feathers.  Other elements inside the box are a piece of coffee stained lace held together with a small brass safety pin to which I have attached a small heart that has "love" engraved upon it.  I have tied together a small bunch of wheat like stems and decorated a tiny straw hat with ribbon and flowers.  The little hat is the only element that is removable.  Everything else has a touch of glue to hold it in its place.   I hope she likes this gift and hope that it will bring back pleasant memories for her, too,

2 comments:

  1. Ginny, what a lovely thoughtful sister you are. That is so precious and I just know your sister will appreciate the love and care in this gorgeous little box. I love the photo and the contents that bring together all you and your sisters memories
    hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The matchbox is gorgeous, she is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete